One of the basic pillars of VAPF is to make an active contribution to improving the world we live in. Throughout the year, we collaborate with different associations, groups and NGOs to try and reduce the environmental impact of our activities and projects. As 2022 draws to a close, we thought it would be a good idea to end the year by helping one particular pet that makes millions of homes happy all over the world, namely dogs.
Akira Dog Sanctuary and VAPF Pet CostumeContest
There is nothing new about this collaboration. VAPF has worked with AKIRA Benissa Dog Sanctuary on several occasions, providing the funds needed for the work of maintaining the shelter. In short, above all we want to help to ensure that the dogs are protected and safe throughout their stay at the shelter. This year it was decided to hold a Pet Costume Contest for pets on 17 December with Christmas as the theme. The best outfits will be awarded prizes and a Christmas hamper will also be raffled. The profits will go 100% directly to the sanctuary.
A very special shelter
The Akira dog sanctuary is set in the woods. The shelter has night time kennels and areas for daytime play and caters for up to 60 dogs. The roofed entrance patio houses facilities for volunteers and dog walkers. The patio on the upper floor boasts a veterinary clinic, an isolation zone for recent arrivals and separate fenced off areas for puppies which can house two different litters of puppies at a time.
In addition, there are three specially marked dog walking trails around the shelter that lead into the surrounding countryside. They vary from a short 20 minute walk, to a longer and more picturesque route which takes 40 minutes.
Other ways of collaborating with Akira
Almost all the costs of operating our shelter and caring for the dogs in our charge are paid for with voluntary donations, sponsorship and fund raising activities. So if you are unable to attend the event on 17 of this month, there are some other ways that you can help the shelter:
- Buying on Amazon: Akira will receive 5% of the price of any article you buy on Amazon when you click on their web site
- Akira Shop: you can find the shop at Avenido de Portet 19, Moraira and it is open from Monday to Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm. There is also a book stall at Moraira Market on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Fridays of every month, along with a stall at the local Antiques and Collectors’ Fairs. The shop also acts as a ticket office for fund raising events, issues membership forms and deals with general enquiries.
- Fashion show: twice a year we hold a fashion show to showcase quality items, often designer brands at extremely reasonable prices.
- Donations: veterinary bills, buying food and medicines for dogs that arrive in poor health and need special care, also for puppies and dogs with special needs. Every donation, however small, makes a difference.
- Become a volunteer: The AKIRA team has many volunteers; even so they are always looking for more helpers.
And, most importantly: do not buy a dog, adopt one instead. As you can see, as well as the Pet Costume contest on 17 December there are lots more ways to help, so that initiatives like the sanctuary can survive and prosper. Look out for our upcoming blog posts to keep up with everything going on close to home at Cumbre del Sol.